Thursday, April 23, 2009

Poison Ivy

Yep, I've got that.

Do you recall all the "outdoorsy" things I did last weekend? Well let's add contract poison ivy on my hands and waistline to that list. Fantastic. Now, I will say that at this point, I'm not to the state of misery that usually accompanies poison ivy. At least this is what I'm told. In all my 25 1/2 years, I've never had the stuff. I've worked here at the Conservation District going on 7 years on and off the trails and nope, never had it. So now that I have a nice cushy indoor office (where I've also gained weight from sitting in a chair most of the day) I get poison ivy. Bonus plus 2. I'd rather go back to the outdoor work when I never was blessed with such an attractive affliction. So, perhaps the unberable itchiness will kick in just in time for the Saturday event that I can in no way miss. That would be perfect timing. "Sure, I can come into work, but I just can't use my hands or wear pants...shouldn't be a problem." But I'll be here! And my husband, who is severely susceptable to this stuff refuses to touch me in any way. Enough said.

Now for my Public Service Announcement on Poison Ivy:

Rest assured for those of you under the wrong impression, poison ivy cannot be spread by scratching or touching someone's rash unless they still have the active oil from the plant on their person. You can in fact get the rash from your clothes if the oil hasn't been washed away, or you pet's fur, but if you have washed yourself, clothes, animals (in cold water with soap) then you should be fine. Sure, you might have already been exposed enough to contract the rash and will break out in a few days, but you have stopped any further exposure due to washing away the oil (Urushiol).

See, I've learned a couple things from work...

Anyway...stupid poison ivy!


No comments: