Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stand By Me

This was our wedding song. It was my first choice, but not my ultimate choice, and then it became my saving grace.

So...I have to say I was in NO WAY a bridezilla. I was calm, cool, collected. I let my sister be in charge of my wedding planning because A. she is really good at that and B. even though I was one of those "plan my wedding when I was 7" girls, when it really came around, I only cared about the dress and the music. Everything else was not a huge deal to me. So I made decisions, but I had my sister and my mom to make the phone calls, help me narrow down the choices, finalize details, etc.

However, I needed the music to be done right. I worked for months on compiling a play list of all the songs I wanted to hear at the reception, the songs I wanted to play before the ceremony, and of course, the first dance. I had a few thoughts for the first dance, including Stand By Me, the John Lennon version...but one day, Danny and I were riding around listening to his iPod when the acoustic version of If I Ever Lose My Faith in You by Sting came on. We both commented that we really like that song and really liked that version and Danny just casually said, "that should be our first dance." And it hit me...that should be our first dance song. It's an artist we both love, Danny especially, it has the perfect sentiment, it's not overdone...perfect! So we settled on it.

After we picked our dj, a friend of my brother-in-law, I made sure to tell him that our first dance song was the ACOUSTIC VERSION, not just the one from the cd. I asked if he needed me to get him a copy, he said no. I asked him again another time. I had my sister ask. I had my brother-in-law ask.

Cut to wedding day...I had held it together beautifully in those last few weeks leading up to the big day. Through the tearing down our dining room walls. Through getting a brand new puppy and figuring out where she would stay during our honeymoon. Through a very hot rehearsal. Through torrential rains the morning of my wedding. Through the extreme heat that followed. Through all the tiny little details of getting this person here, having this one sleep here, dealing with groomsmen for heaven's sake! Even through thinking everyone left us at the church to finish our pictures and we had to ride to the reception (I ended up riding there in the back of Danny's brothers Lumina). We really had no big issues that whole day.

Then I walk into the reception venue and see my sister walking up to me with a strange look on her face. "Don't freak out about this because we'll fix it somehow..." she says. "Charlie (the dj) doesn't have the right version of your first dance song."

I'll admit, I lost it a little bit. I turned and went right into the bathroom and cried for about 1 minute. I was so looking forward to that moment! Now it's ruined! I asked him if he had the right version 857 times! AHH!

Then she got me to pull it together and my dad pointed out that in the end, we were still married and that is the whole point...but darn it if I wasn't bummed! Danny was also bummed, but seeing how upset I got made him pretend he didn't really care. So then my sister says..."so what song do you want instead?"

Danny told me to pick..."Stand By Me...the JOHN FREAKING LENNON VERSION!"

It turned out to be just right...

Even though I will always be a little bit bummed everytime I hear the other song...

But we are still married.

One year on June 7th.

(also, thinking back, we probably could have just used the other version of the song...oh well!)


"If I Ever Lose My Faith In You"
You could say I lost my faith in science and progress
You could say I lost my belief in the holy church
You could say I lost my sense of direction
You could say all of this and worse but
If I ever lose my faith in you
There'd be nothing left for me to do
Some would say I was a lost man in a lost world
You could say I lost my faith in the people on TV
You could say I'd lost my belief in our politicians
They all seemed like game show hosts to me
If I ever lose my faith in you
There'd be nothing left for me to do
I could be lost inside their lies without a trace
But every time I close my eyes I see your face
I never saw no miracle of science
That didn't go from a blessing to a curse
I never saw no military solution
That didn't always end up as something worse but
Let me say this first
If I ever lose my faith in you
There'd be nothing left for me to do

No comments: