Wednesday, September 24, 2008

C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me

I am a glorified cookie server. Yet in one short week, I will also be a licensed food handler. Seem extreme? I thought so too.

So I was sitting in my little class yesterday with 2 food stand owners, 2 cooks, a hotel manager, and some other guy whose job I forget. All were there to become licensed food managers and handlers. Then there was me. Yes, I do serve food on MANY an occasion as a part of my job, but really only 3 times A YEAR do I actually cook it. Mostly it's store-bought desserts, cubes of cheese (already cubed), fruit, crackers, etc. I do that on purpose. Do you realize how much time I would spend in the kitchen at work (more so than I already do) if I were to make all the necessary food to keep our volunteers happy? We serve food for EVERYTHING around here. Meetings, gatherings, we have a lunch made for us every Wednesday, hell we make up reasons just to serve food to each other. So it makes much more sense to use pre-made stuff for the most part rather than change my profession to chef.

So I feel that my presence in this class is a bit ridiculous, however, I am learning some good stuff for just everyday life...like cooking temps for different meats, proper food storage in the fridge, and all those foodborne illnesses out there waiting to get you! Seriously, I will never comfortably eat in a buffet restaurant again. Not that I won't do it, I just won't enjoy it as much.

Next week I go back for more and the test (which I feel will be pretty easy). I liked getting out of this place for a day and doing something different. It was nice.

Hope you all had a good Tuesday!

erin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this will make you so much more qualified to give out more recipes on your blog.